Tuesday 1 June 2004

Review: Da Vince Code



I normally run a mile before I read anything that is hyped up and marketed as a page turner, but in the case of the 'Da Vinci Code' I'll make an exception. I don't think it was that well-written - it's the intriguing historical concepts that keep you going - about how politicized the documenting of religious history actually is, often driven by the agenda of a minority.

Without giving too much of the plot away, before reading the book I often wondered about how was it possible that Jesus led a bachelor life in a time and land when to remain unmarried and without issue was unthinkable ? And why did the Roman Catholic Church pursue a patriarchal agenda over the past 1000 years or so ? And that only a few Gospels were ever incorporated in the New Testament, and the majority of other Gospels seemingly excluded ? What information did those other Gospels contain ?

..definitely makes you think.

Score: 9/10

No comments: