Saturday 20 August 2005

Review: The Kite Runner



Just finished 'The Kite Runner' recently. I kept seeing the book in the bookshops and I was for a long time reluctant to read/purchase it because a) it was set in Afghanistan (not exactly the most progressive of societies) and b) dealt with Muslim Pashtun/non-Punjabi characters and I felt I might not be able to relate to the story. But on both counts I'm glad I was proved wrong (it took somebody on another site to persuade me to read it).

Khaled Hosseini's style of writing is beautifully simple and direct, and his portrayal of friendship, love and loss against the background of war-torn Afghan social life is illuminating.
Reading this book has helped me see friendships and the fragility of life in a completely different filter.

I wish the novel would go on and on.....

No comments: