Thursday 14 April 2005

Of books, bookshelves and creaking hardwood floors....

At lunchtime today I was browsing in one of favourite bookshops, 'Nicholas Hoare', located on Front Street in downtown Toronto. Despite its location, step through it's doors and you feel you're in an oasis of serene calmness complete with a quaint wooden decor reminiscent of an old English library, with scholarly looking assistants on call. I've spent an occasional rainy afternoon in there just wandering....however it was sunny today - so no such excuses....

It has an interesting and varied collection of books not readily found in the larger bookstores, with many works imported from the UK. Today I couldn't decide what I wanted so I just browsed and flitted from the History section to Biographies to Popular Science, ending up reading a few lines from a book about flags of the world. Next time I'm there though, I might buy Gabriel Garcia Marquez's 'One Hundred Years of Solitude'.....the title and the cover intrigue me and he appears to write in a dreamy, surreal style.

No comments: