Thursday 18 August 2005

My Yashica T4

Last week I discovered my trusty Yashica T4 camera lying behind some books on a shelf. Finding that was like being re-united with an old friend. Looking at the elegant design of the body I slid the power switch and the lens motor effortlessly came to life, and all the self-check lights reassuringly blinked ready for action.

I purchased my T4 about 10 years ago from a speciality photo retail store in Gloucester, England. I've lost count of the rolls of film I shot on the T4, capturing many memories of days gone by. I took it all over the place, from Milton Keynes to Paris, Barcelona, Toronto, Ludhiana and back. The Carl Zeiss lens (one of the best on the market) never once failed me, and took pictures comparable in quality and detail to SLRs. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the T4, it is a point and shoot camera regarded by many photo/camera websites as one of the best ever manufactured. My current digital camera (Olympus Stylus 410) comes nowhere close to the quality of pictures I could get with the T4. Sadly, Yashica ceased production of the T4 about 3 years ago.

Anyway, in the last couple of days I bought several rolls of Fuji film (from 400 ISO to 800 ISO speed) determined once again to make use of this faithful keeper of memories.

No comments: