Monday 3 April 2006

I am Canadian !

After almost 2 long years since applying, I finally became a Canadian citizen last Thursday. The sense of belonging is now complete. Things would definitely have been quicker had it not been for the events of 9/11. Still, I can now show my Canadian passport at Pearson Airport without the usual accusatory glances from Canadian/and or onsite US immigration officers wanting to know where I'm going, where I'm coming from, why am I going/arriving etc. The times when a British passport would inspire awe and head-bowing respect from the natives have long since gone.....LOL. :)

The citizenship ceremony was interesting enough. There were 127 people from 28 countries represented at the Mississauga Citizenship Office. The oath of allegiance could do with some updating though......4 of the 5 lines were all to do with swearing allegiance to the Queen and her successors. Once all the speeches were done and we received our citizenship certificates, we were asked to congratulate folks sitting on either side and you could sense the genuine happiness and warmth of the occasion.

After that, it was a fast drive to the passport office to apply for my new shiny blue passport.

5 comments:

Jas B said...

Balle Balle Bhaji: Citizen ho gaye! :)

I filed last Ocotber as well, lets see when it comes thru for me!

One of my very good friends, who became a citizen in 2000, said this: "Hindustan da sarra zor lag gaya Angrezan di Queen de raaj ton chutkara paan layi, te main bear allegiance to the Queen di oath lai ayyaan haan!" :)

~enfield~ said...

Congrats Sphere Sahib!

Par Jasji, wouldn't we rather bear allegiance to the Queen than a Laloo or Rabri ?

A lot of people from the times of "ghulaami" that I have had the opportunity to talk to, thought India was much better under the British than it is now.

And I think it wasn't the Indians who threw British out of India, rather the British left because they no longer had any interest in India because of its over burdening populations and dwindling resources. Otherwise why would Indians be making beelines to the UK, USA, Canada and Australia ?

Jas B said...

I agree with you on all that Doc Saab.

The comment made by my friend was in pure lighter vein! :)

Spheric said...

Thanks everyone !

Yes, it is time to bhangra ! :)

Jas, hope you don't have to wait as long as I did. Five months were wasted coz they wanted my fingerprints as my name matches someone on the Canadian/Interpol terrorist database.....

Jas B said...

Bhaji, they wanted my fingerprints as well: "your data matches the name and demographic information of someone...yadda yadda yadda".

The best part is that I gave them FBI clearance from US as well as police clearance from India for my immigration. Obviously they do not have any cross talk between these two departments.