Monday 23 February 2009

Scenes from Punjab

Better late than never....finally got a chance to post some of the 700+ shots I took on my recent trip to India.



^ ^ At a rest stop along the GT Road somewhere near Patiala.


^ ^ Waiting for a bus (I presume). They look uncharacteristically calm...prolly still half-asleep...LOL.


^ ^ My parents' place in Moga City.




^ ^ Millions of these Tata trucks on the road....the subject of many a Punjabi song.


^ ^ Punjab framed. :)


^ ^ Apna Punjab.





^ ^ LOL....I think I know how you're gonna drive. I think this was the most ridiculous thing I saw on my travels.


^ ^ Feeding time at the zoo ?




^ ^ The Golden Temple, Amritsar.






^ ^ ^ Oh the irony of it all.


^ ^ GT Road again. In Punjab, overtaking and double over-taking are a national sport.




^ ^ ^ Personal transportation has definitely progressed over the last 5 years.


^ ^ The evening commute.


^ ^ 
The dreaded shopping trip


^ ^ ^ Punjab's Gold Reserves.. :)


^ ^ ^ 
The latest shopping mall developments are on a par with the West.


^ ^ ^
Having a 'Mirinda' at Delhi Airport. It's definitely an acquired taste and not for everyone.


^ ^ ^
Departure Lounge at Delhi. Was not asked for a bribe once....how pleasant. :)



3 comments:

Jas B said...

Finally! :)

I almost thought that was real gold! And then I read the print!:D

Overtaking and double-overtaking, I have personally witnessed that and that too on the roads of himachal (Chandigarh to Shimla), a bus overtaking a truck and another bus overtaking that bus...and I was begging my Dad to pull over, as I was sure if he did not, we'd probably have head on collision..who'd care for a puny maruti! :D

I am planning to go visit during December, not sure yet but planning. Have obtained the visa, thats the first step! :)

Spheric said...

The fact that you a) got your visa and b) got your passport back in one piece, suggests to me that your trip is already heading off to a good start !

Avoid driving after 6pm. That's when Punjab's "gold" traders are on the road.

Jas B said...

That sure is a relief getting back the p'port!