Thursday 11 October 2012

Turning Pages....

I still can’t bring myself into buying an e-reader. Trust me I’ve tried. I’ve played around endlessly with demo models in tech stores – some were dead on arrival (no power), others would blink/flash annoyingly as the page turned, whilst others would almost sullenly respond in resentment to me having woken them from a deep slumber.

There is still something intimate and personal about picking up a paper book, holding it in your hands and turning the pages for yourself. The books on my bookshelf all vary in size, font, cover artwork – some are yellowing from age and others still have to be broken in. Some have been re-read, borrowed and re-borrowed, whilst others may have only been touched once.  Some have travelled to exotic beaches  and others have been used to pass time on a train. Sometimes the ownership history of a book is more telling than the contents inside, and maybe that’s what I don’t want to lose.....

No comments: