Tuesday 20 December 2005

Beware of killer samosas

What with the festive season upon us, here is a Spherical public health announcement... :)



From BBC:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3325175.stm

Health chiefs are warning the south asian community about the health risks of their favourite foods. They are concerned that too many people are feasting on tasty, but unhealthy snacks such as samosas. And they believe this is a major reason why diabetes and heart disease are increasing in British cities with large south asian populations.

In Birmingham, health workers are visiting Sikh temples to issue warnings, and offer health checks. Diabetes among the city's Sikhs is now three times higher than within the white European population - and heart disease is one-and-a-half times more prevalent.

Rishpal Chana, an Aston-based health visitor for Heart of Birmingham Teaching Primary Care Trust, has found that nearly a third of those weighed and checked in the Sikh gurdwaras need immediate help from a GP.

Samosas, and other traditional foods from the sub-continent such as pakora and bhajis, are packed with fat.

Ms Chana said: "Samosas are one of the worst foods you can eat and I am trying to get people to eat less of them or cook them with olive oil instead of ghee.

"The Asian diet is very fattening because a lot of the food is fried in this way, yet people don't realise just how bad for you they are." Ms Chana said just one samosa had 25 grams of fat - the same as a large slab of butter.

Blood pressure and blood sugar tests are being offered in the temples on Sundays when they are at their busiest.

6 comments:

Jas B said...

Oh, I have consumed 6 samosa over the course of two weeks (and that would be 20 samosas in total during the past two years).

25 X 6 = 150 gms of fat.

In fact , last thursday I had two samosas for dinner. Th eonly other heathly food I ate was a mandarin....

Smitha said...

one samosa had 25 grams of fat - the same as a large slab of butter

This is why I eat those mini bite-sized samosas only ;)

Spheric said...

Jas - it wasn't my intention to make you go on a number-crunching guilt trip. :) Eating only 20 samosas in all of past 2 years is still a commendable act of self-control ! Shabaash !! :)

Spheric said...

Smitha - yes those bite sized samosas are a handy size except I can't get them at my local desi store. I guess you get invited to more upscale cocktail evening soirees than I do...... :)

Jas B said...

Sphere Bhaji, thanks for commending me on my self control.

Although, I have gained 10 pounds in the last three years. And I go on a guilt trip every time I consume desserts. I need to exercise some more self control!

Thanks for adding me blog to your blogroll. Do I have your permission to add yours on mine? Do I need to say please? :)

Spheric said...

Jas ji,

Yep - go ahead and add me to your list ! No need for please-plooze etc - we are not goreh ju know ! :))